This Winter, respiratory illnesses are running rampant among children, resulting in higher than normal rates of hospital visits and admissions. This surge of young patients with viral infections comes at a time when hospitals across the province are already challenged with high numbers of admitted patients and sustained pressure on emergency departments.
Here are a few relevant resources and quick links to support you and the patients you care for during respiratory illness season.
Resources for health-care providers
- *NEW* Revised Indications for Ostelamivir Usage for the 2022-23 Influenza Season (PDF)
- Pediatric respiratory resource list (PDF): a compilation of respiratory resources for pediatric health-care providers; topics include asthma, bronchiolitis, croup, COVID-19, RSV and vaccines.
- Real-Time Virtual Support (RTVS): peer pathways that offer around-the-clock, virtual clinical support to rural and remote care providers in B.C.
- Child Health Advice in Real-Time Electronically (CHARLiE)
- Maternity and Babies Advice Line (MaBAL)
- Rural Urgent Doctors In-aid (RUDi)
- Compass Mental Health: telephone support for care providers across B.C. to deliver timely and appropriate care for children and youth. Providers have access to a multidisciplinary team including mental health and substance use clinicians (social workers, nurses, psychologists, etc.) and child and adolescent psychiatrists.
Resources and reminders for families
- Information for parents seeking medical care for children (PDF): for parents/caregivers who are unsure if their child needs medical care, this resource can help them assess and decide.
- When to bring your child to the Emergency Department: examples to help families decide if their child needs emergency care.
- 8-1-1 HealthLink BC: families can speak to a registered nurse any time, every day of the year.
- Fever or chills, age 11 or younger: HealthLink BC webpage with details about taking temperature, causes of fever, treatment, prevention etc.
- BC Children’s Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre: mental health and substance use information, resources, and peer support for families across B.C.
BC EMN Clinical Resources
- Bronchiolitis Point-of-Care Summary (PECS)
- Bronchiolitis Patient Discharge Sheet (PDS)
- Influenza (Pediatric) PECS
- Influenza (Pediatric) PDS
- Influenza PECS
Add public comment…
We welcome your contribution! If you are a member, log in here. If not, you can still submit a comment but we just need some information.