The team receives advance notification from EMS about a 30 year-old female who is visibly pregnant and was in a car accident. Upon arrival to the ED the patient loses pulses and CPR begins. The team must begin ACLS and proceed to resuscitative hysterotomy. After delivery they should begin neonatal resuscitation and continue management of the mother. Early consultation should be made to trauma surgery, NICU, and OB.
Goals and Objectives
Educational Goal: To expose learners to a resuscitative hysterotomy (aka perimortem c-section)
Objectives: (Medical and CRM)
- Demonstrate appropriate ACLS/ATLS involving a pregnant patient.
- Demonstrate appropriate procedural steps for resuscitative hysterotomy
- Appropriately manage neonatal resuscitation.
- Demonstrate ability to manage two critically ill patients at once.
- Demonstrate ability to lead a code team
- Communicate effectively with team members.
- Demonstrate appropriate resource utilization when managing two critically ill patients simultaneously.
TD 1: Recognizing the unstable/critically ill patient, mobilizing the health care team and supervisor, and initiating basic life support
F1: Initiating and assisting in resuscitation of critically ill patients
C1: Resuscitating and coordinating care for critically ill patients
C2: Resuscitating and coordinating care for critically injured trauma patients
C13: Performing advanced procedures
Add public comment…