Understanding Dimensions of Wellness in Indigenous Communities
View the recording of the iCON-VCH Indigenous Health Round, recorded on Feb 2nd. Speaker Dr. Terri Aldred, from the Tl’Azt’En Nation, and the medical director of the First Nations Health Authority, discussed principles of Indigenous wellness and how to deliver culturally safe care to Indigenous patients. The rounds are open to health professionals and students.
Dr. Aldred shared her knowledge and an Indigenous perspective on dimensions of health and wellness, drawing on her experience as a primary care provider in rural and remote settings.
- To introduce Indigenous worldviews pertaining to health and wellness.
- To explore the principles of Indigenous wellness from the perspectives of an Indigenous health provider and the First Nations Health Authority.
- To discuss racism as a social determinant of health.
- To highlight practical clinical tips on providing culturally relevant and safe care to Indigenous patients and outlining examples of work being done to promote Indigenous Health.
The Warrior Life Podcast Episode 82: Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond on Racism in BC Healthcare
- In this episode of the Warrior Life Podcast, Hon. Dr. Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond discusses her recent investigation into anti-Indigenous racism in the BC healthcare system. She shares findings and recommendations from her report: In Plain Sight.
In Plain Sight: Addressing Indigenous-specific Racism and Discrimination in BC Healthcare
Add public comment…